Sunday, March 28, 2010

Non-Dairy Delights

Bebe has been exclusively breastfed lo! these last five months, direct vom Fass. She never took kindly to the pumped stuff in the bottle. So it's been just straight-up milk from the tap. Five months. Now, at last, she has entered the world of food and flavor!

I think we started the Goober on rice cereal at four months. That was our idea, not something initiated by the boy. Four months had seemed like a long time to breastfeed exclusively, whatever the pediatric world health organizations say. By the time he reached five months, Goober had sampled bananas, avocado, mango, and melon and become of a major fan of barley teething biscuits and Zwieback.

Pushing food on him doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects. (No known allergies, so far.) On the contrary, he's been an adventurous omnivorous child. I'm not naïve, there will be fads and bumps in the road ("I only eat peanut butter and jelly" or "only cheese pizza" or "no red foods" or "I hate water"), this is exactly the kind of eater that I hope he eventually remains.

Bebe has grown increasingly interested in the things we put in our mouths. She grabs at forks and spoons as they travel on their route to our face. I've wanted to indulge her curiosity, open her world of flavor a little bit. I see no reason to wait much longer. So here we go!

Like Goober, we began with banana. Straight, no chaser. Not mashed or sliced or served in a mesh bag. It was the real deal. And it was a delight(ful mess). Someone was smacking her lips and sucking the last molecules of banana from her fingertips into the evening.

Welcome to the world of non-dairy delights, little girl. Good food is a glorious thing to have access to. May you live well, eat well, and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment